The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a respiratory disease that can result in serious illness or death. It is caused by a new strain of coronavirus not previously identified in humans and easily spread from person to person. There is currently no approved vaccine for this disease. On March 10, 2020, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (“MDHHS”) identified the first two presumptive-positive cases of COVID-19 in Michigan. Throughout the pandemic, Michigan has used a range of public health tools and guidance to contain the spread of COVID-19 in communities throughout the state.
Read more about Emergency Order Under MCL 333.2253 below:
All updates and information regarding the ongoing COVID-19 crisis will be posted to this page as needed. We appreciate your patience and ask that you continue to follow the guidance of the United States Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Oakland County Health Department as we work to prevent the spread of COVID-19 within our community.
Staff Member Screening Questionnaire
In accordance with several of Michigan Governor Whitmer's Executive Orders, along with guidance provided by the Oakland County Health Department, individuals are required to complete a COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to reporting to work at a physical WBSD building. The staff screening questionnaire can be found on the Staff webpage.
MDHHS Releases School Decision Matrix for In-Person Instruction
On Wednesday, September 16, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services released Interim Local Health Department and School District Guidance for Increasing and Decreasing Intensity of In Person Instruction in Michigan School Districts, a non-binding decision making guidance document to support local health departments "in advising school districts of public health risk while making decisions about opening/reopening schools." The document outlines a four step process for collecting data and applying a decision-making matrix.
Public Notice - Confirmed and Probable Cases
All positive COVID-19 cases among WBSD staff and students will be posted here. In accordance with the WBSD's Plan, the following actions will take place for each positive case:
- The individual(s) in question will be quarantined from work/school until released to return by the Oakland County Health Department.
- The WBSD will work closely with the Health Department to conduct contact tracing. Those individuals who are determined to have been in close contact with the COVID-19 positive individual(s) will be personally contacted by someone from the Health Department or the WBSD with additional guidance.
- The WBSD operations team will conduct additional, deep cleaning of the classroom, office, bus, or other space that was occupied by the COVID-19 positive individual(s) prior to it being reopened for staff and/or students. The cleaning will be performed in accordance with United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (“CDC”) guidelines.
Actions you can take to limit the spread of COVID-19
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. When soap and running water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand rub with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Follow appropriate respiratory etiquette, which includes covering for coughs and sneezes and wearing a non - surgical cloth or disposable face mask that covers your mouth and nose when in public spaces.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Practice social distancing (six feet apart).
- STAY HOME IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS
- Answer the phone if you are contacted by the Oakland County Health Division, who may be trying to reach you with important contact tracing information.
- November 19 - WBSD COVID-19 Health Update
- November 11 - WBSD COVID-19 Health Update
- November 9 - WBSD COVID-19 Health Update
- November 2 - WBSD COVID-19 Health Update
- October 29 - WBSD COVID-19 Health Update
- October 27 - WBSD COVID-19 Health Update