Points of Pride
The West Bloomfield School District serves over 5,500 students from West Bloomfield Township and the cities of Orchard Lake Village, Keego Harbor, and Sylvan Lake. Our schools have received state and national awards; all have been named National Exemplary Schools. West Bloomfield was listed by CNN Money Magazine as #37 in its Top 100 Small Cities in America, citing excellent schools, lakefront living and cultural diversity.
West Bloomfield School District achieves exceptionally above-average results in relation to other K-12 school districts in Michigan. Student achievement ranks among the highest in the state, and 97 percent of our students go on to college. West Bloomfield School District has been named to the AP® Achievement List by the College Board for significant gains in Advanced Placement® Access and Student Performance. We are also the recipient of several Oakland Schools Excellence in Education Awards, including Medical Mentorship and Political Leadership.
West Bloomfield High School was named the 14th Most Challenging High School in Michigan by the Washington Post in 2014 . Each school's score is comprised of the number of college-level tests given divided by the number of graduates that year, the percentage of students who come from families that qualify for lunch subsidies, and the percentage of graduates who passed at least one college-level test during their high school career. In addition, WBHS is rated by Niche.com as one of the TOP HIGH SCHOOLS IN MICHIGAN, while Newsweek ranks both WBHS and Oakland Early College as two of the TOP HIGH SCHOOLS IN AMERICA. Oakland Early College was named a Reward School by the Michigan Department of Education in 2014.
The West Bloomfield curriculum is designed around the rigorous Common Core standards that prepare students for college and career success. Twenty-four extensive Advanced Placement courses are offered in addition to a variety of courses related to the arts, technology, pre-engineering, business, and Medical and Political Mentorships, important to the development of each student’s talents and career focus. Character Education programs such as “Defeat the Label” and “No Place for Hate” are taught throughout the district. We teach, model and uphold American ideals that serve as the basis for good world citizens, so graduates are well prepared to meet and lead solutions to demanding global challenges.
Students with accelerated needs: Our professional teaching faculty differentiates and personalizes instruction within each classroom. In addition, we have several opportunities to meet individualized needs:
- Magnet Program (grades 3-5) for academically gifted and talented students in a multi-age, project-based learning community
- Advanced Math (grades 3-8)
- 24 Advanced Placement (grades 10-12)
- Advanced Placement International Diploma
- Partner with International Academy for International Baccalaureate
- Oakland Early College at Oakland Community College-students graduate with diploma and Associates Degree (grades 10-13)
- Oakland Opportunity Academy - afternoon school in a non-traditional setting
- Oakland Virtual Academy - Oakland, online alternative (grades K-8)
- OSTC - Oakland Schools Technical Campus - high-tech, career education
- ACE Accelerated College Experience - 3 year early college program
- Mandarin Chinese
- Instructional Technology