Avoid the dreaded summer slide and brain freeze this summer by having your students read daily.
Here are some suggested reading opportunities:
1) Join a Summer Reading program at your local public library. All West Bloomfield students can register for the summer reading program at the West Bloomfield Public Library. Brochures went home the first week in June. You can register at the library or online.
The kick-off for their summer reading program is on June 18 with many fun activities. The library offers many wonderful programs and activities
2) Read eBooks online. The West Bloomfield Township Public Library has provided our students with access to Tumblebooks
. Visit our school eBook webpage
for other websites as well.
3) Read eBooks from our own Destiny catalog. Click on Sheiko Elementary and then students can login using their current Google Account.
4) Take advantage of the Open eBook app from First Books. Download and use the Open eBooks app for free. With this app, you and your child can access a library of thousands of popular and award-winning eBooks for free! Follow these directions:
Go to the App Store on your device (apple or Android)
Search for “Open eBooks” and follow the directions to download.
Open the app and agree to any terms and conditions.
Download eBooks of interest. When using the app, standard data rates apply.
Access codes will be sent home with the students before school gets out. Look for a 1/2 sheet paper titled “Let’s Get eReading”.
5) Complete the Summer Reading Assignment. Incoming 3rd, 4th and 5th graders at Sheiko have a summer reading assignment. See the links below:
Incoming 6th graders to OLMS also have a summer reading assignment. See the links below: